Friday, June 6, 2014

Chocolate Rolls

I made this with my five year old sister yesterday. She must have liked making it because as soon as the dough was done, and I preceded onto making chocolate chip cookies, she insisted that we make another batch of chocolate rolls. I told her that soon enough we would have more to do with the chocolate rolls and we didn't need to start another batch. She wasn't easily convinced. As soon as the butter was in the bowl she made every effort she could to pour hot water into it. I wasn't so fond of putting water into chocolate chip cookie dough so I picked up the bowl and carried it around the kitchen as I got ingredients. She, however, was not discouraged. We HAD to make another batch. Suddenly I noticed her pouring water into the bowl I was holding while I looked the other way. I couldn't help laughing at her mischief, but I dumped out the water. Finally something happened and she got distracted. I did get to make the cookies and they turned out well. :)

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup milk, heated until steamy
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3 eggs
  • 5-6 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
    For filling:
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • brown sugar (1-2 cups)
  • cocoa (½ – ¾ cup)
In a large bowl, place butter and hot milk. Add sugar, yeast, salt, water, and eggs. Stir in flour until to stiff to stir with a spoon. Then knead in the remaining flour. Knead for five minutes. Let rise for an hour and a half.

Roll out dough into a very large rectangle, if you don't have a large surface to work with, roll the dough out in two parts. Brush with butter. Sprinkle on sugar and cocoa. Roll up. Cut into rolls. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise for one hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 25-35 minutes. If desired, glaze. Enjoy! It made around 25 rolls.

2 comments:

  1. My husband loves chocolate sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays! Join us again today: www.thesustainablecouple.com

    ReplyDelete