Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chocolate-Vanilla Marble Cake


  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 1 ½ cups sugar (I use brown)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
  • ½ cup cocoa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. This handy pan (and it's twin) was a gift from my grandmother. I think it's such a good idea! No trying to get a stuck cake out with a spatula!  

In a large bowl, cream butter for 1 minute with a hand-held mixer. Add sugar and cream with butter for 1 minute. Mix in the vanilla and eggs on high speed for 1 minute. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Blend half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Add ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk and mix until smooth. Repeat, adding the rest of the flour and ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk. Mix for 1 minute.
Divide the dough into two bowls. To one bowl, mix in the cocoa and 2 tablespoons milk. Place dollops of both plain and chocolate batter into the pans. 

Swirl with a table knife. 

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.

Frost and garnish as desired. I made vanilla frosting and added cocoa to half of it. Then I marbled it when I put it on the cake. (using the same principle as in the cake)  

I shared this on some of my favorite blog hops

4 comments:

  1. Yummy Christi! I just shared this on our G+ page! Thanks for linking up to The Weekend re-Treat Link Party on The Best Blog Recipes :)

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day! Also, thank you for hosting The Weekend re-Treat Link Party!!

      Delete
  2. YummO! Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up next week!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete