Saturday, February 15, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake with Easy From-Scratch Chocolate Crust

The from-scratch chocolate crust is incredibly easy. I would go so far to say that it's easier than a graham cracker crust made with store-bought graham crackers! After all, five simple dry ingredients can be placed into a bowl faster than you can crush graham crackers. And as for the rest of the cheesecake - it's creamy and studded with chocolate chips! Who doesn't love chocolate?

  • 2 cream cheese, softened (let sit on counter for no more than 30 minutes)
  • ¾ cup sugar (I use brown)
  • ½ tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
  • Chocolate crust (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare crust. In a large bowl, cream sugar and cream cheese until smooth. (don't try to beat lots of air into it though) Add vanilla, eggs, flour, and salt. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour into prepared crust and smooth top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until firm but not browned. It can be a touch jiggly. Cool at room temperature for one hour. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. I like to make it the day before and chill overnight.

Easy Chocolate Crust
  • 2/3 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • dash salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ cup melted butter

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Stir in the butter. Press into a greased spring-form pan. Use in recipe.  

5 comments:

  1. My husband loves chocolate and cheesecake. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super duper Yum. Pinned it to the Fabulous Jol Favourites. Thanks for Linking up. Hope to see you again this Tuesday.
    ~ Keren from Fabulous-farmliving.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have a great week and thanks for hosting the Fabulous Jol!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to use this recipe next time I make cheese cake. I usually use a graham cracker crust, but last time I made any I forgot to buy graham crackers. :(

    ReplyDelete