Monday, February 17, 2014

24 Hour Sourdough Starter

When I was around twelve, I made this really often, in fact almost every day I was making a new recipe with it. This sourdough starter isn't exactly the same as the traditional sourdough, but it is still very good - easy and not intimidating! It can't be used in every sourdough recipe because it doesn't have enough yeast to completely rise bread, but bread can be made with it if a teaspoon or so of yeast is added. I would recommend using this only in recipes that I post (that call for this sourdough starter), because I made the recipe with this and know it'll work in the recipe. I plan to be posting sourdough recipes in the coming days.

  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 quart jar

Mix water and flour in the jar. Cover with a towel. Let sit for 24 hours. Stir once after 12 hours. That's it!
After 24 hours

After 24 hours

After using in a recipe, there are three options:
1. Add 1 ½ cups water and ¾ cup flour. Let sit for 24 hours. Then use in a recipe.
2. If you're not going to use it after 24 hours are over, you can go through step one and then place it in the fridge. The night before you want to use it, take out of the fridge and add a ¼ cup of flour and a ½ cup of water.
3. If you're not going to use it after 24 hours are over, just don't keep the starter going and make a new batch when you want it. (This is my recommendation) After all, you don't want a sourdough starter sitting in the back of your fridge for weeks and then just have to through it out when it gets too old.

Use in:
Three-Cheese & Garlic Sourdough Biscuits
Sourdough Rolls
Caraway Sourdough Bread
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Cheddar Sourdough Biscuits
And more recipes to come!

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen one without sugar. This is amazing that it would work with no sugar t feed the yeast. So glad to see one with whole wheat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read in a health food cookbook a while ago that it actually is better to not use sugar in sourdough starter. Even a more complicated "real" sourdough starter that I've also used didn't call for sugar. This one is closer to the sourdough starter mentioned in the Little House books. It works best for biscuits and pancakes but it doesn't have enough yeast for sourdough bread. There are lots of type of great biscuits I've made with it - from Hot Pepper Cheddar to Cinnamon Raisin.
      I hope it's not confusing! :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Making this today!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I messed up!!! I ground soft white wheat instead of hard white. I kept wondering why it completely separated and did not rise at all. So I went out and rechecked my buckets and knew I had ground the wrong kind. I will try again. I wanted to make pizza dough today. Oh well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry that happened! I've never had it mess up before and have made it a lot. I've heard that climate can make a difference in sourdough. Also I should have written to use filtered water (tap water may discourage wild yeast?). Temperature also makes a difference. One time this was really bubbly and rising after only 4 hours! Also as you wrote, the type of wheat may matter... Also maybe stir it once after 12 hours to keep it from separating. If it seems to thin, as different flours can sometimes create different thicknesses, you could add another couple tablespoons of flour.
      Just trying to trouble shoot..... I hope it goes well next time!!

      Delete