Monday, January 27, 2014

Flax & Rice Crackers (Gluten Free)

Different grains all have different nutrients, and it's good to eat a variety of them. Usually we end up eating more wheat products than other grains, so today I made these crackers out of rice and flax. They are great with hummus.

  • 3 cups brown rice flour
  • ½ cup golden flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup plus 2-3 tablespoons almond milk (you can use regular milk)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Add almond milk, honey, and olive oil. Knead for a few minutes, until dough is smooth. Roll out thinly on a lightly oiled surface. Cut into squares. Prick crackers with a fork. 

Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until crisp and slightly golden.  

I shared this on some of my favorite blog hops

12 comments:

  1. These look great! Have you ever tried using a flour other than rice for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't tried using another flour in them, but I'm sure wheat flour would work. Do you have a particular flour you are thinking of using in them? Have a good day and happy baking!

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I think I am going to have to try this one with my almond/acorn/wheat flour mix and see what happens! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make them with your almond/acorn/wheat mix, tell me how it goes! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful idea to make your own cracker. No preservatives or chemicals. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what's so good about homemade crackers - they actually can have wholesome ingredients and NO preservatives or chemicals! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I just made these for dinner, using half sorghum and half brown rice. So simple and tasty! Thank you for the recipe Christi! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you enjoyed them!! Using half sorghum and half brown rice was a good idea!

      Delete
  4. They look yummy! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! I can't wait to see what you share today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one thing I have not done yet, make crackers, pinned to my DIY board. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays, join us again right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do get around to making crackers... I hope you enjoy making them!
      Thank you for hosting Real Food Fridays! I shared a few new posts just now. Have a great day!

      Delete