Friday, January 17, 2014

Alfredo Sauce


We often make this as an alternative to cream-cheese based Alfredo sauce. We only had yellow shredded cheese when I made this today, so the sauce is a little yellow. When we had this for lunch, one of my sisters asked me if I wrote down the recipe so that we could make it this way exactly again. Well, I'm glad that (surprisingly) I did! 
  • 1 ½ sticks butter.
  • ¼ cup flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • dash black pepper
  • 4 cups milk
  • 3 cups shredded cheese

Melt butter in a pan. Add flour and simmer over medium-high heat for one minute, stirring the whole time. Add spices. Stir in milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add cheese. Mix well and continue simmering until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened. Add more milk if it seems too thick. Serve on hot pasta and enjoy!  

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Enjoy it! I think it's our favorite lunch! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah! I've been trying for the last year of two to make such a sauce and I've only been successful a couple of times! I think I'll give your version a try. :)

    Keep up the delicious work!!! :D

    ~SB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! :) I sometimes leave out the basil and pepper and spice it with just salt, garlic, and paprika. We like it both ways.
      It took me awhile to develop this recipe; at first I was not using any flour (which is needed for stability), then I used too much flour (tastes too floury), so I know what it's like for it to not turn out. :) I don't know if you ever make Alfredo sauce with cream cheese - it's a different recipe and is good, but sometimes we don't have any cream cheese or want this for a change. Because we got somewhat tired of the cream cheese Alfredo, people have been calling this "the good type". :)

      Have a blessed day!!

      Delete