Monday, December 16, 2013

Molasses Bread

The first time I baked in a wood-stove, I made a certain molasses bread. It was really good, but the last of our molasses was used up in it, and we didn't end up buying molasses again for so long that I forgot about the recipe. That recipe is now long lost, so today I decided to make my own recipe for molasses bread. It turned out so good that some of my siblings said that I should always make this bread! I hope you enjoy it!


  • 5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 ½ tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • ½ cup molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 ½ tbsp yeast

Mix 3 cups of the flour with the salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let proof for 5 minutes. Add the yeast mixture, olive oil, molasses, and eggs into the flour. Beat for 1-2 minutes. Knead in remaining two cups of flour. Let dough rise for 1-1 ½ hours, until double. Punch dough down and knead for around one minute. Split dough into halves and shape into round loaves. Place loaves on a flour-sprinkled baking sheet. Let rise one hour. Fifteen minutes before ready to bake the bread, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place bread on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...this sounds like a delicious recipe - plus it's simple to make!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! We really enjoyed this bread! If you decide to make it I'm sure you won't be disappointed! :) Have a wonderful day!

      Delete