Thursday, December 12, 2013

Homemade Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cake

This is a great homemade coffee cake. I often use it as a make-ahead breakfast.
  • 1 cup olive oil or melted butter
  • 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 cups sour cream or yogurt
  • streusel (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl mix the first 5 ingredients together. Then in a smaller bowl, mix together the next five ingredients (the dry ingredients). Stir half of the sour cream into the wet ingredients. Then add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. If you don't have a beater, just mix the batter hard and fast with a spoon. (That's what you do on a homestead) Add the rest of the sour cream and beat for a half-minute, then add the remaining flour mixture and beat for 1-2 minutes.
Pour into a buttered 9x13 glass baking dish. Top with streusel. Bake for 35-50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Streusel: 
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • dash salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Mix together in a medium-small bowl. Use on cake.

P.S. A few months later: my sister noticed that I wrote baking powder instead of cinnamon in the streusel, I've changed it now; but if you made it with baking powder instead of cinnamon - I'm so sorry!

3 comments:

  1. Rebekah made this the other day and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that I had wrote baking powder instead of cinnamon in the streusel. (Oops!) I'm glad it still turned out but I think it's much better with the cinnamon in the streusel! :)

      Delete